Friday, December 26, 2008

Adrea: On the Subject of Subjects



To Whom It May Concern:

I know, or think I begin to sort of understand a little, the irrationality of seeing oneself as what I used to think was "old." Of course, I have the advantage of believing in all those beautiful forty something stars in Hollywood and how I think they are much prettier now than in their twenties. But that's besides the point. As we all should know by now a lot about "being old" is in perception and presentation. Both my parents lead 110% more active and interesting lives than I do and they are not in their twenties. Both my parents were attractive back then and I think are attractive in all their aginess glory now. That being said, it is a shock even to my "you're not old til you're old" eyes when I see, really see that passing years actually do seem to affect myself and those I love.

On that note, I was warned that though my mom wanted me to do my dad's portrait for Christmas, he would not like any of them and it was in no way a reflection of my talent. But, as I told my dad, one thing I have learned in my early days here of photography is, like age, a photograph is only as good as the insides of the subject. I don't care how beautiful a model is - if she's vacant... so is the photograph.

I don't care how attractive Dad was back "then" - though I'm sure he'd have been gorgeous in pictures, it would have been a different statement then now. It's not about how pretty your face is, it's about what your face says.

And I found my dad's face pretty interesting.

4 comments:

Creative Mama said...

amazing documentation... love love love them...

Albert said...

The operant word IS "Interesting". Let's just say that the outer image glaringly contradicts the inner fantasy I have of my age. I actually liked the top one after the initial shock wore off. I studied it carefully and came up with some important, personal insights, one of which is that I do not acknowledge that my aged face makes me essentially any different (zero .. nada) than the beautiful 30 year old I once was.
Bottom line is that your work as a photographer is nothing less than stunning. You are a lover of truth and that's the gift you give your subjects and I like that about you -- a LOT. Nevertheless vanity stepped in and also ordered the softer, more merciful colorized pic. God will understand.

Aaron said...

Well, I just saw this now and those are *#($#@* amazing... I mean, amazing. Those are pictures of him that he should be proud of (and you) because he looks great. Wrinkles and all... Keith Richards, john wayne, jimmy carter, paul newman... amazing photo.

Albert said...

What a gift you guys are!
But wrinkles? What wrinkles?