Sunday, August 1, 2010

Adrea: Siblings and Me



I love to get siblings together in portraits, but wow, have I realized how very much I canNOT control that dynamic. Heck, even as adults, getting you siblings to get close and loosen up can be tricky. And it's only been in the last few weeks that I've really understood why.

Listening to the insight that comes "out of the mouth of babes" has been breaking my heart. When I ask a 3 year old to put their arm around their 2 year old sibling and that 2 year old throws off the gesture, I can see the rejection in the other - very clearly. When the kids are older, the words confirm my suspicion, "She doesn't like me!" says one younger brother out of the blue. I'd have never, never guessed that his refusal to follow my direction was based in self-consciousness.

Now I know... now I can maneuver better. I am also more willing to let the artsy shot happen - get them in the same frame.. sometimes who they are creates an interaction even when they aren't even near each other. It's not the perfect hug, but I like it. Bring it on siblings!

No comments: